Sunday, November 29, 2009

a little wailing

"Where is  a heart that is not shattered in a hundred pieces by God's love?...How should I utter a word?-- for the fire in my heart is grown fierce, the lion of separation from the Beloved, has become raging and blood shedding. Inasmuch as He is thy lover, do thou  be silent: as He is pulling your ear, be you all ear....How should I not wail bitterly on account of His deceit, since I am not in the circle of those intoxicated with Him?  How should I not mourn, like night, without His day, and without the favor of His day-illuming countenance? His unsweetness is sweet to my soul......The Friend loves this agitation:it is better to struggle vainly than to lie still..... In this way be ever scraping , and scratching, and exerting yourself to the utmost; until your last breath do not be unoccupied for a moment. "
Rumi (Vol. 1; selections from 1723-1822)

Commentary: Rumi is always reminding us that on the path of love, the way forward will be neither clear,  nor smooth. Keep going.