Sunday, March 14, 2010

Repentance

"I clutch the skirt of God's mercy. Help, help!
I have a soul of stone, and my heart is of iron.
The time presses and I have only one moment left: act in a Kingly fashion, come to my aid!
Accept my repentance, this once more...."
When his ship was wrecked and every hope had failed, he was cast on the seashore of Divine Mercy.
His soul became united with God: at that moment when he lost consciousness, the waves of Mercy began to surge.
When his soul was freed from the body, it went rejoicing towards it Origin.
The soul is like a falcon, and the body is its fetter, it is a foot-bound broken-winged creature.
But when its self consciousness is gone, and its foot untied, that falcon flies toward the King.
When the sea of Mercy begins to surge, even stones drink the Water of Life.
The whole face of this earth becomes verdant; the dry wood buds and becomes flourishing.
The wolf becomes the cup companion of the lamb; the despairing become courageous and valiant."

Rumi (Vol.5 2260-2285)

Commentary: Asking for forgiveness, departing from our own self consciousness: only then do we begin to become aware of mercy.