Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thorns Into Roses

"Outside of my own exertion and action, beyond good and evil, and religion and infidelity,
And beyond my feeble supplication, and the fancy and the imagination of myself, or a hundred like me,
Beyond living righteously or behaving disobediently--I had a great hope in Thy loving kindness.
O Gracious One...I turn my face back to that pure grace. I am not looking towards my own actions...I have always relied upon that generosity."
(God replies, saying)" O angels, bring this one back to us...his inward eye has always been turned towards hope...We will set him free and cancel all his trespasses..
We will kindle up a goodly fire of grace, in order that no sin, small or great, may endure...
We will make the thorns a spiritual garden of roses...
What is humanity's sovereignty and power of choice, beside the light of the Everlasting Abode?"

Rumi (Vol. 5, 1837-1852)

Commentary: This is the conclusion to my absolute favorite Rumi story. I'm hoping it is not just a story...