Friday, December 11, 2009

The House of "If"

"Parable: A certain stranger was hastily seeking a house; a friend took him to a house in ruin. He said to the stranger, " If this house had a roof, it would be a home for you, next door to me.  Your family too would be comfortable, if it had another room in it. "
"Yes," said the stranger, "it is nice to be besides friends, but my dear soul, one cannot lodge in 'if"....
Your soul must bear the burden of patience and thanksgiving, whether for a hundred years, or for thirty or twenty....none reaped unless he sowed something. Do not say to yourself, "So and so found a treasure; I would like the same: neither work nor shop for me!"
That discovery of treasure is a piece of luck, and moreover it is rare: one must earn a living so long as the body is able.. Do not retire from work: that treasure is following behind that work... The Worker is hidden in the workshop: go  in the workshop and see Him plain. Since the workshop is the dwelling place of the Divine Worker, the one that is outside is unaware of Him."

Rumi (Vol. 2, 730-761)

Commentary: "Do not retire"??!  Our spiritual work is the real assignment every day; in these circumstances, with these particular limitations. 'If I had a better temperament.. If I had a more focused mind. If I didn't have these particular challenges....."  The house of "if" is a ruin..nobody can live there.