Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Only Religion...

"It is not  granted to every heart to fall down in prayer. The wages of divine mercy are not allotted to ever hireling.
This is the sign that you will gain from God the spiritual kingdom and power that you are seeking..
That you will weep continually in the long nights. and you are always ardent in supplication at the hour of dawn...
And what you give in alms is all you posses, so that your belongings are entirely bestowed in charity...
That you have sat, how often!- in the fire, like aloe wood, that you have gone, how often!- to meet the sword, like a helmet.
A hundred thousand such acts of helplessness are habitual to the lovers of God, and cannot be counted...
A revelation came  to Moses from God, "I did not ordain divine worship that I might make any profit; no, but that I might do kindness to my servants. I look not at the words  and speech, I look at the inward spirit, and the state of feeling. I gaze into the heart to see if it is humble.
I want burning, burning. Become friendly with that burning.
Light up a fire in your soul, burn thought and expression entirely away.
The religion of Love is apart from all religions: for lovers the only religion and creed-is God.

Rumi (Vol.2 , from 1651-1770

Commentary: Fewer words...more burning..