Saturday, February 27, 2010

In Flight from Oneself

"In the case of temptations, I am like a child or a drunken man: the sword is unsuitable in my hand.
Since I do not possess a resplendent intellect, and righteousness in religion, why, then, should I not throw my weapons in the well?
I now throw my sword and shield into the well; for otherwise, they will become the weapons of my advesary.
Since I do not possess strength and aid and support, the adversary will seize my sword and smite me with it...
I will continue to flee as long as my nerves are vibrating, but how should it be easy to escape from one's self?
He who is in flight from another obtains rest when he has been separated from his pursuer.
I, who am the adversary of myself, it is I that I am in flight from: rising and departing is my occupation forever.
The one whose adversary is his own shadow is not safe in either India or Khutan."

Rumi (Vol. 5, 656-671)

Commentary: If we fall into temptation, if our own mind is often an untrustworthy guide, then disarmament makes sense. We'll need to take refuge with the One who can focus our attention and our mind.