Monday, February 15, 2010

Rumi's Prayer

"O God, who knows the manifest and the hidden,
To whom but Thee, should your servant lift his hand? Both the prayer and the answer to the prayer are from You.
You, at first, give the desire for prayer, and You, at last, likewise give the compensation for prayers.
You are the First and the Last: we between are nothing..."
God said, "I am all sufficing,: I will give you all good, without the intervention of a secondary cause,
I will give you fullness without bread, I will give you sovereignty without soldiers and armies.
I will give you narcissus and wild roses without the spring, I will give you instruction without a book and teacher.
I am all sufficing: I will heal you without medicine, I will make a grave and the pit a spacious playing field.
To a Moses, I give a heart of courage.."

Rumi (Vol. 4, 3498-3521)

Commentary: Maybe the words we use, are not all that important...