Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Acceptance

"Your grace is the loving shepherd of all who have been created, You guard them from the wolf of pain...
I live in hope of your open hand, as bountiful as the ocean, and relying on Your giving me a stipend, and discharging my obligations in full.
I recklessly incurred debts, amounting to nine thousand pieces of gold: where are You, that these dregs may become clear?
Where are You, that laughing like the verdant garden You would say, " Receive that sum, and ten times as much from me"?
Where are You, that You may take me into Your treasury and make me secure from debt and poverty?
While I am continually saying, "Enough!" and You, my bountiful Friend, are replying, "Accept this too, for my heart's sake."

Rumi (Vol.6, 3280-3303)

Commentary: No matter what it is we ask from God, it is not nearly as much as what God wants to give to us.