Saturday, May 8, 2010

Benevolent Creatures and the Generosity of the Creator

"O Maker, I am confused: I was setting my hopes on Your creatures.
Though my benefactor and friend had shown great generosity, yet that was never a match for Your bounty.
He gave the cap, but You the head filled with intelligence.
He gave me gold, but You the hand that counts the gold; he gave me a horse for riding, but You the mind that rides it.
The friendly benefactor gave me a candle, but You gave me a bright and cheerful eye that sees; My benefactor gave me dessert, but You gave me the stomach that receives the food.
He gave me the stipend, but You gave life and animate existence; his promise was gold, but Your promise is for the pure things of the spirit.
He gave me a house, but You the sky and earth: in Your house he, and a hundred like him, grow fat.
You also gave my friend and benefactor generosity and pity, and his joy was increased by showing that generosity."

Rumi (Vol.6. 3124-3132)

Commentary: The generosity of God and the generosity of our friends flow from the same Love. We need to give some credit at the source.