Saturday, May 29, 2010

Contrariwise

"Either this desire of mine will be fulfilled on this journey, or when I return from the journey.
It may be that the fulfillment of my desire depends on going abroad, and that only after I have gone to distant lands shall I attain it at home.
How should the mystery of God, being with me, enter into my spiritual ear unless I wander around the world?
God has said that "God is with us", but the Holy One sealed the heart, in order that the truth and real meaning may enter the heart's ear contrariwise, and indirectly.
When the seeker has made many journeys, and performed the duties of the Way, after that, and not before, the seal is removed from one's heart."

Rumi (Vol.6, 4175-4181)

Commentary: This is one sweet explanation for why I've spent so much of my life traveling, and wandering around lost...