Monday, March 29, 2010

Parables...

"The mystics use comparison and illustration, in order that a loving feeble minded person may apprehend the truth.
It is a parable for the purpose of melting the frozen intellect.
What is soul? Soul is rejoicing on account of kindness, weeping on account of injury.
Since consciousness is the innermost nature and essence of soul, the more aware one is, the more spiritual one is...
O Thou, who are the help of those who seek help, help me to escape from this prison of my wicked acts of free-will.
By the heart's deceit and guile, I have been so disoriented that I am left, unable even to lament.
Who am I? Heaven with its hundred affairs, cried out for help against the ambush of arrogance and selfishness.
O gracious One, this duality is agonizing to the spirit.
This perplexity is like the heart at war.
In perplexity the fear of failure and the hope of success are always in conflict with one another, now advancing, and now retreating.
From You first, came this ebb and flow within me...
From the same source from where you gave me this perplexity, graciously now make me unperplexed.
Bestow on me one path, do not make me follow ten paths!
What is the means of ascension to heaven? This not-being. Humility, and selflessness is the creed and the religion of the lovers of God."

Rumi (Vol 6, 117-233)

Commentary: Speaking as one of the feeble minded...the war can seem quite real. I suspect God will free us from our selfishness and our perplexity when the time is right. Until then, we can only ask for help...