Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Only Mercy

"Night has wrecked the sea of my understanding and senses: no hope is left, nor fear, nor despair.
God has borne me into the sea of Mercy; I do not know with what specialty He will fill me, and send me back to the world.
In as much as my hand is made empty by this sovereign power of God's to loose and bind, oh, I wonder, from whom comes this self-conceit of mine?
I possess nothing. O Gracious One, except a heart constricted with anguish.
Do not lay another nothing, upon a nothing like this.
Truly the state of "I possess nothing" suits me better, since these hundred troubles arise from my imagining that I possess something.
I have suffered pain; do Thou increase my pleasure.
I will just stand naked in a flood of tears at your gate, since I have no sight.
O friend, do not refrain from calling on God: what business have you with God's acceptance or rejection of your prayer?"

Rumi (Vol. 6 2321-2339)

Commentary: "No hope and no fear": Rumi seems to be telling us that our empty hands and our tears are enough.