Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Forest and the Trees

"On account of the denseness of the leaves, no boughs were visible on the trees; the leaves too, had become scant, and had almost vanished on account of the plenteous fruit.
More wondrous than all else was that hundreds and thousands of people were passing through the desert and the plain beside the trees.
Hazarding their lives and ready to sacrifice everything in their desire for shade.... and yet not seeing those trees at all.
They saw a mote, but not the sun. The caravans are without food, and yet these fruits are dropping right besides them....
If anyone had said to them, ' Go in this direction, that you may seek happiness from these trees."
They all would have said, 'this poor intoxicated wretch has gone mad.'
Have I become mad and crazy? At every moment I rub my eyes, wondering whether I am dreaming, and beholding a phantom in the world of time.
How can it be a dream? I go up to the trees, I eat their fruit: how should I not believe?
But again, when I look at the incredulous ones who turn aside from this orchard,
Devoting their lives with the utmost indigence, and destitution because of their desire for half an unripe grape,
I see these hundred thousands on thousands of people fleeing from these trees and their fruit,
Once more I say, 'Marvelous! Am I beside myself? Have I laid hold of a bough of fantasy?"

Rumi (Vol. 3, from 2004-2032)

Commentary: Do you see grace and generosity, and forgiveness and blessing? Do others see it? Does it matter? Even after our lives have been saved by such ripe and wonderful fruit, sometimes we doubt that we have been given such abundance.