Monday, January 18, 2010

Having to Wait

"My Beloved whispers into my ear every moment, 'I will make you sorrowful, but do not be sorrowful on that account.
I will make you sorrowful and weeping, to the end that I may hide you from the eyes of those who seek to harm you.
You are not really a hunter and seeker after Me, no, you are my servant and helpless before my providence.
You are thinking of devices whereby you may attain Me: both in quitting and in seeking Me, you are helpless.
Your anguish is searching for a means for attaining Me; Yet I was hearkening yesterday evening to your heavy sighs of today.
I am even able, without this waiting, to give you access, and to show you the way of passage,
That you might be delivered from this whirlpool of time, and may set your foot upon the treasure of union with Me;
But the sweetness and the delight of the resting place are in proportion to the pain of the journey.
Only then, will you enjoy your native town and your kinfolk, when you have suffered the pains and tribulations from exile."

Rumi (Vol. 3, 4149-4158)

Commentary: Sometimes, those of us in exile, feel that the separation will last forever. Rumi wants us to listen to the whispers that claim that our banishment is only temporary.