Monday, January 4, 2010

What Moses Said to the Pharaoh

"There is no fear on my part.
I am content, I am thankful, O adversary: here I am disgraced, but with God I am honored.
In the sight of the people I am contemptible and wretched and a laughingstock: in God's sight I am loved and sought and approved.
If you are powerful, and I in truth have no ally, yet I am subject to God's command: I have nothing to do with that.
I will combat you with all my strength as long as I live.
O wonder! To me, it is as clear as the sun: to my enemy it is as dark as night.
O wonder! How does this host not see a whole world filled with the sun at morningtide?
Eyes open, and ears open, and this sun! I am amazed at God's eye bandaging.
I am amazed at them, and they are too at me.
God knows best, concerning his servants.
A treasure of gold is hidden, for safety's sake, in a desolate spot that is not well known.
On this account it is said, "Joy is hidden beneath sorrow."

Rumi (Vol. 3 from 1076-1134)

Commentary: Moses knew what most of us do not. He knew who he wanted to please, and it wasn't Pharaoh, or the crowd. He knew he didn't need to be afraid, no matter how powerful his enemies were. And he knew that sorrow was not the last word. This story keeps going...