Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Wise Investment of (Spiritual) Work

"When you put cargo on board a ship, you are making that venture in trust.
For you do not know whether you are destined to be drowned on that voyage, or spared.
If you say, 'Until I know which I am, I will not embark on the ship and the ocean;
I will not start upon this voyage with doubt and in idle hope, like the others.'
Then no traffic will be done by you..
The merchant of timid disposition and frail spirit neither gains nor loses in his quest.
No, he suffers loss, for he is deprived of fortune....only the one that is an eater of flames, is ardent in searching, will find the light.
Inasmuch as all affairs turn on hope, the affair of religion is most worthy to inspire hope, for by this means you may win salvation.
The motive in every trade is hope and chance, even though our necks are worn thin like a spindle, from toil.
When I am at work, my hope is greater; when I am in idleness I have more risk.
Or, are you ignorant of the bounties of God, who is calling you home?
The whole world is filled with His bounty, wherever you look, reality is making His bounty known.
When a generous person bids you to come into the fire, come in quickly, and do not say, 'It will burn me.'
I have confidence in the generous; I do not despair of their bounty."

Rumi (Vol. 3 from 3083-3109)

Commentary: Rumi claims that God-realization is a wise investment, a risk worth taking, and more likely to happen if we put in our best efforts. More than that, he has enormous confidence in the generosity and the grace that is coming to us.